We all have one and we all know just how junky one can get. Here’s how to tackle your junk drawer once and for all!!
Most of us do have a junk drawer whether at home or in the office. This is where we put all kinds of stuff and just leave things there in disarray. We only realize that it has to be cleaned the minute we try to find something and we can’t find it because of all the junk inside. It would be embarrassing if someone sees it and finds out that it’s a complete mess– talk about first impressions. If you are one of those folks with an “over the top” junk drawer, then it is time to clean up fast and give your drawer a makeover! How? Here are some steps that may help you.
- Empty your drawer. Find yourself an open space that is big enough to empty out and spread all the junk from inside the drawer. Go through the contents and decide if you need all of it at present or in the future.
- Sort them out. Take a look at each item and ask yourself if you really need every single one. Do they really belong in this drawer or do they belong someplace else? What’s really important is that you are able to find what you’re looking for inside the junk drawer whenever you need items without having to spend too much time searching.
- Arrange the contents according to use or need. For instance, you can group together your office or school supplies such as pens, rulers, pencils, paper clips, staplers, staple wires, tapes, glue and eraser. Your tools should be in the same spot like hammer, nails, and screwdriver. Kitchen items should go together like can openers, jar openers, coupons, measuring spoons etc.
- Do away with unnecessary junk. After sorting all the contents, you have to get rid of things you think you have no use for either today or in the future. Throw away those items that are already rusty and decaying or ruined.
- Clean all your junk and drawer. Before putting your things back make sure to thoroughly clean each item as well as the drawer.
- Organize your junk. Now that your drawer is clean along with the contents, you can start placing items back in an organized manner. Make sure each one has a space allotted. Organize items in a way that makes sense to you. You can buy drawer organizers for a more coordinated style. They come in various colors, sizes, and types and are readily available in many stores. Find one that will suit your taste and budget. Organizing your junk can make it easier for you to find what you are looking for in a shorter period of time.
Now that everything is in order and in its proper place, all you have to do is keep it that way as much as you can. If that’s not possible, then repeat the process periodically so clutter won’t accumulate further and you can spend time on more important matters.