How to organize your garage and find a place for everything
Most of the time our garage is not only reserved for our family car but also serves as a dumping ground for many other things such as tools, house appliances that need repair, old things we don’t use anymore, and other clutter we don’t want seen inside our home. We don’t realize there will come a time these things will pile up and it may get to the point where we can’t find the very item we are looking for. If you find yourself in the same situation where you use your garage as a dumping room, here are some tips on how you may de-clutter and organize your garage to be able to restore order.
- Set aside a specific amount of time to work in the garage, setting a goal for accomplishment each time.
- Don’t do it alone. Find people who can help you organize your garage, or ask family members or close friends to help you clean.
- Classify the items in your garage such as car tools, garden tools, recreational and sports equipment, decors, things for repair, things for recycling, and things for disposal. Assess if there are things that need to be placed someplace else inside your house or can be relocated elsewhere, maybe even given away or sold.
- After classifying items, group them together and place them at the middle section of the garage. Find some boxes where you can put your grouped items and make sure to label them for easy sorting.
- Get rid of the things that are of no use to you anymore. There may be items you don’t know what to do with, so put them in a visible area where you can see them easily if the need arises.
- Decide on the best arrangement of your garage, where you want the items to be placed. Consider the available space and the frequency of use of these items. Those frequently used should be on the lower shelf while items that are rarely used should be on the top area.
- Set up cabinets using overhead space to give you extra storage areas.
- After everything has been put in place and in order, make a quarterly or annual schedule for your garage maintenance. Regular organization will help keep your garage tidy. Or better yet, just make sure to put things in order regularly so that you don’t have to worry on where you placed them.
Organize your garage and restore order with these easy tips.. A clean and orderly garage can make your life run more smoothly, especially when you’re in a hurry and need to find a specific item.